Rebuilding the Main Market

The market has now been cleared and the system is totally reliant on its player base!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: [IDEA] Market Owner Listing Limitations

I also have a question about the market as I haven’t used one to sell before.

If I am going to post an item for sale, I saw that there is a fee associated for the posting. Is this fee charged by the owner of the market?

I found it strange because I was trying to post some reeds, but no matter how many weeks the listing was for or how many reeds I put the fee was always 5 silver.

If I posted 10 reeds it was 5 silver. If it was 200 reeds it was 5 silver.

Does this work as intended? I would have to make sure I was posting enough reeds to the listing to cover reeds because thats a metric ton of reeds to list to make it even worthwhile to recoup 5 silver.

At 1 or 2 coin per reed it would take at least 2500-5,000 reeds to even make up for that cost.

Thats providing that you sold every single one of them.

If that fee is charged by the owner thats fine and it will encourage people to shop around at different markets to list.

If thats a coded thing by the system I think it needs to be looked at.

2 Likes

Is that still the case or is that in the past when you tried to list? I was pretty sure we removed fees and if they were to be re-established they would need to be a percentage of your listing of items. They are a percentage of your total listing if I am not mistaken right now. So the fee is dependent on what price you are setting for sale.

The fee is a coin sink to put coins back into the system, but it could go to a market owner instead, don’t see why not.

We are completely reworking how markets will be used in SLColonies and how they will look.

We will likely use Unity like we have for everything else (WebGL) so you wont even need to log in to a website.

We are open to suggestions to see what you guys would like to see changed in how the markets work.

I’m thinking the main market will be different even to what you as players will get.
The main market would act as the global network and you won’t be able to buy or sell from it. Instead, you would get a list of everything available through every market and if interested you can click and be experience teleported to that sims market or landing area to visit in person and do roleplay or whateverbfor the trade.

1 Like

It’s nice to be able to log into the website to check on our market, and look to see what others have as well. It would be cool to be able to do transactions with the Unity/WebGL but still have the ability to check the market(s) without having to be inworld. I don’t know if that’s even a possibility. It probably would be a bit of database overkill and I can see the potential for problems with both in place. On the other hand, you two make a lot of this stuff look easy!

Both would be in place. No extra strain on database or servers.

Web based might give owners more options and more logs as well if thats what people wanted.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: [Idea] Market & Vendor Sales Logs

How have people found the markets since clearing the main one?

Ive not heard people not being able to survive with our current community size?

Are other markets being stocked with enough of whats needed, and buy orders being filled?

1 Like

I haven’t had too much issue myself, but I don’t use a lot of tools and spare parts for brewing or harvesting grapes.

I do browse all the markets almost daily. There’s s a lot of stuff that I don’t see, but doesn’t really affect me too much.

2 Likes

I have not seen any buy orders at our market. I was hoping there would be some by now. We are apparently getting some traffic because there are items stocked in it that weren’t before.

I’m wondering, though, if we need to look at doing a minimum stack, like, you have to list a minimum of 5 per stack or pay x% listing fee. I see the potential for people seeing a market hub and using it as a trash can to empty their inventory of single items, like random fish, twigs, or other things they consider of minimal value. It clutters the hub with a bunch of entries that aren’t things to sell but rather things folks want to get rid of. They might not care if they ever get paid for their twig but they get rid of it.

I can see it coming to a point where there are 500 entries in the database for 1 twig, rather than one entry with 500 available. That’s just got the potential to be messy; other than adding time to the database for search or read type functions, I don’t see it doing specific harm. It’s just a housekeeping chore that you or the database itself shouldn’t have to have on your plate.

That line of thought brought to mind an idea that I’ll write up in the feature area.

1 Like

That was me putting new fish for Vudon if he wants them :grimacing:

With several new species I wasn’t able to come up with a significant amount of each type.

It may be difficult to list a significant amount of items in a stack if they are more complex items to build or rare forage. A lot of vendors I see a few if each on mushrooms for example because there just isn’t enough of each type to make a stack.

If I come across more flounder for example. I’m not sure if I can add those to me existing sale or if it makes a whole new entry.

1 Like

No worries! Right now it’s not a problem. The more we have in there, the more likely to get traffic. And you DO bring up a good point, that some things are harder to get hold of so it’s harder to make a significant stack.

What concerns me is what happens when we get more players. Can you imagine having to scroll through page after page of twigs that were entered 1 or 2 at a time, by different people, with different prices? That’s going to be ugly!

Yes, I do see. I can take twigs.

I’ll use up all 3,000 twigs and cook them for one hour at 45 degrees and see what happens. Thats my trash bin :joy:

1 Like