What Roleplay is, wisdom from Kingdom Alfheimr

The main idea behind roleplay is building your character in the colonies, who are you, where did you come from, why are you here. what is your story. Are you a friend, an enemy, a healer, a thief. f.e. The idea for me was people in all colonies (because SL Colonies is not just one colony for all it is mutiple colonies) was roleplay, building your character and interracting.

But what I am seeing within SL Colonies, is people hopping sims and helping themselves without the roleplay interaction. maybe I am wrong to think what roleplay is.

What Does Role-Playing Game (RPG) Mean?

A role-playing game (RPG) is a genre of video game where the gamer controls a fictional character (or characters) that undertakes a quest in an imaginary world.

Defining RPGs is very challenging due to the range of hybrid genres that have RPG elements.

Traditional role-playing video games shared five basic elements:

• The ability to improve your character over the course of the game by increasing his statistics or levels.
  • A menu-based combat system with several choices of skills, spells, and active powers as well as an active inventory system with wearable equipment such as armors and weapons.
  • A central quest that runs throughout the game as a storyline and additional (and usually optional) side quests.
  • The ability to interact with elements of the environment or storyline through additional abilities (e.g. lockpicking, disarming traps, communication skills, etc.)
  • The existence of certain character classes that define the characteristics, skills, abilities, and spells of a character (e.g. wizard, thief, warrior, etc.)

Modern and hybrid RPGs do not necessarily have all of these elements, but usually feature one or two in combination with elements from another genre.

Role-Playing Game (RPG)

RPG video games originate from tabletop or pen-and-paper RPGs, such as Rolemaster or Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) — a type of game in which the players impersonate their characters by actively describing their actions and thoughts.

In video game RPGs, the part of the “game master” (who acts as both the narrator and the referee) is automated, and the computer’s artificial intelligence (AI) decides the actions of the various non-player characters (NPCs) and enemies.

The development of a central storyline used to be a fundamental part of old-school RPGs, but is not a requirement anymore in more modern games such as massively multiplayer online RPGs (MMORPGs).

Most RPGs are set in a fictional world with traditional fantasy or sci-fi elements that are incorporated into the game mechanics. For example: choosing a race such as dwarf or elf can affect the character’s in-game choices or modify his characteristics or spell-casting abilities.

In classic tabletop RPGs, a set of clear rules defined how characters could interact with the environment. Usually characters had to roll a die to determine whether their attempt at a certain action (such as striking an enemy or scaling a wall) was successful.

Video game RPGs started out very similar to paper-and-pen games, but the dices were substituted by automated rolls performed behind the screen. Combat was handled with interactive menus, and could occur either in a turn-based or real-time fashion.

Modern games, however, introduced many hybrid variants that significantly broadened the genre.

The most important sub-categories of the RPG genre are:
Action RPGs
Games mostly focused on the combat aspects rather than the narrative ones. Battles usually occur in real-time, and the player frequently control a single character rather than a party.

Examples include: Diablo, Zelda, and Dark Souls franchises.

Strategy RPGs

Games where battles take place on a map and character units are deployed against opponents.

Character and party development are more important than battle choices since stronger, higher-leveled enemies tend to overwhelm underdeveloped parties.

Examples include: Neverwinter and Final Fantasy franchises; and include important sub-genres such as: Rogue-like RPGs (e.g. Zangband, or The Dungeons of Moria); and Tactical RPGs (X-COM, Jagged Alliance, etc.)

Adventure RPGs

Games where the emphasis is no the narrative rather than on the action elements which are usually lighter.

The player must advance through the story by collecting certain items and special weapons, meeting key NPCs, or performing important tasks.

Adventure RPGs usually fall into other categories, as well, such as the Fable franchise (which is also an Action RPG), or the Divinity series that falls either in the Adventure RPGs niche (Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity); or in the Strategy RPG one (Divinity: Original Sin).

Some Metroidvania RPGs (such as Metroid or Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest), are usually Adventure RPGs with platforming elements, as well.

MMORPGs

These are multiplayer games where large amounts real-life players from interact over a shared world in what is essentially an endless RPG.

MMORPGs mix many different elements from the other sub-genres, although they’re usually very combat-oriented with a strong focus on collecting rare and powerful items to enhance the character’s abilities or its appearance.

Famous titles include World of Warcraft (WoW), Ultima Online, and Guild Wars.

2 Likes

Colonies is a set of tools that Tem and Drak have worked hard to give to us. There are no rules that say you HAVE to roleplay with it.

We create our own individual fantasy world’s with it.

There are always going to be people who utilize game systems for fun with the mechanics independent of any roleplay.

They have stated many times over they will not be enforcing how others use the system with a god tier ruleset. It is up to each sim owner to decide how it will be used on their land.

You will fair much better protecting your resources than you will by trying to control what other people do.

3 Likes

I’m an introvert in both worlds and have a very hard time with roleplay due to the social element as well as my own ineptitude at roleplaying, yet I’m very drawn to immersing myself in fantasy/medieval worlds and also love interactive roleplay systems so am grateful there is a place for me in this system:)

2 Likes

I do completely understand there are no set rules how to play as individual colonies we have our own way of doing things, I do take your advice as well as others very seriously. Do to my own beliefs and expectations I am implementing in my own Colony, I have taken the advice and locked down my sims to unwanted behavior this of course is my own decision as well as the other leaders of Kingdom Alfheimr. We have our citizens, we have our bad guys and we have our Knights. (Not just rezzers) If another such colonies want to interact with us in the same belief as us they are more than welcome to contact us.

**it is a shame I must be so harsh, because I put so much time into the sims and would love to see people visiting but we must do what needs to be done to keep the roleplay, storyline going. Thank you for your understanding and advice with your replies to the post.

**Landing Point with SL Colonies Market is still available, as our own Kingdom with our own economy and having more than one faction within two sims, We will use the SL Colonies market for overflow. Course this is not part of the roleplay world I have built therefore it is nonessential, but I do give the option to the Residents of Kingdom Alfheimr.

2 Likes

You’ve done an amazing job with your sim! It’s so nice to see SL Colonies being used to its fullest where players can live and work in the Colony. This will always be my favorite way to implement the system. Even if I cannot afford to go that route myself, I greatly appreciate those that do!

2 Likes

Hi @Raqisa,

Another option you have, now that you have created a public landing area and a group-restricted RP area, is to have an opportunity for people to read some of your rules and accept them before requesting group access through a simplistic process.

That way, someone who wants to roleplay, but isn’t officially of your land, can accept the conditions of entry that RP is required before making their way down there.

I’m also reconsidering if we want to add a built-in ‘group only’ option in all gatherables and stations, allowing sims to close off to the public without having to close off the land to the public.

This has some benefits, such as allowing visitors to come down still and roleplay without having access to all your items and allowing SLColonies to be showcased to visitors who are thinking of getting involved in the system. But it also has disadvantages as well which I need to consider.

I feel your method, where you have a public area that explains what your community is about, is the best way to do things. Especially if it’s not a complicated process to gain group access to enter the land and participate. Visitors grabbing your group tag also has its benefits - advertising when they are out and about and an easy way to keep in touch with your community and visitors through notices to let supporters know about events you have come up with.

1 Like

great! wonder! fantastic! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, Temujin, Thank you for your response, I do not wish for you to change the system, I will always use it in a public format. Reason being, I have multiple groups within the Colony, one is for the residence of Alfheimr and the other is for the bandits, as they are thieves and must do combat with DFC Rezzers. Unless there is another way of setting the DFC Rezzers, that I am not aware of. I like the System the way it is. Thank you.

We are still working on the Lore of the land between the Leaders of the Roleplay areas as well as making a map and rules. This is work in progress. We did initially have our basic rules that no one really paid attention too. F.E. I said please go to the Kingdom in OOC. But all is good, we will implement new rules and restrictions. smiles. Now that the sims has Leaders and I am no longer doing it all alone, I think it will be great in the long run. smiles. I am pretty excited how things are now. The people so far that have signed up understand my concept and ideas as they are throwing out their concept and ideas as well, smiles. thank you, again.

2 Likes

Oooh, exciting! I can’t wait to one day walk onto the land, watch people roleplaying, and see a thriving community the way you envisioned it. I know you’ve put so much work into your RPG, and watching it flourish will be rewarding.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.