Market idea to preserve the system

I know there is a remaking of markets, but wanted to give an idea to see if it will be added or of interest to add. I am seeing, whether it be intentional or unintentional, undercutting in markets. Meaning pricing stuff already listed for cheaper. Is there plans to set a “suggested” price and then people can’t list it for say some % higher or lower? I know I rather have a totally free market like so many countries do rl, but it just is the case that people tend to just want to unload stuff in sl and are not concerned about how it impacts the whole system. Again, I am aware it probably is unintentional. I just think a safeguard may help preserving the markets in a virtual world.

I have a poor understanding of economics, dislike capitalism and am terrible when it comes to pricing so I greatly appreciate there being a recommended price in the market (viewable when you select make request). Nevertheless, I still find it a challenge as a cook because I have to come up with prices in my own head. The foods I make should cost a lot more than I list them for if I take the cost of all the ingredients into consideration, but then no one would be able to afford them, at least not at this point in the game which is a huge dilemma.

2 Likes

I think freedom is important though. If one farm has a lot of something and a different cook needs it, they can list it as a low price so people who are just starting and don’t have a lot of coin can still have things they might need. Things take a long time in this game to add up - so if they offer something at too low a price they’ll eventually run out or expend lots of effort. There are no “important” - we are all working for what we have so nothing is limitless.

I like the market the way it is in terms of giving each person the freedom to place things at high price or low depending on what they need or want. Sometimes a price isn’t about making money, it’s about seeing people with less have a chance to do more, because community. Or it’s about “I found 30 of this berry and I don’t know what to do with it so maybe someone else can use it.” An over-controlled market is just as bad (or worse) than an uncontrolled one.

3 Likes

Good point. I guess I am meaning the extreme cases, but yes lower prices do help new players I agree.

2 Likes

‘make request’ option in market does show base values of items.
I check it now every time I go to list something for sale. Altho I’m seeing player recipe foods that don’t show up in make request option.

2 Likes

Plus they want it to be a player controlled market.

2 Likes

Ya that would be hard to do since they are not in the database until made so not sure if they can be added. I am not a programmer so can’t say if it can be done. Would be a a great addition if possible. I do want a free market, but I will just say that I am aware there are individuals that are abusing it. That is a part of rl too I guess. Take good with the bad.

1 Like

I will confess to being a player who listed things for cheap, like, 2 copper cheap! I also confess, this was with the thought (as mentioned by others) that THIS EARLY in the game, most players have few coin, especially the beginners who may just be signing up. Though also (as mentioned) to “unload” surplus I’d collected in my testing/playing around.

Would I then count as an “abuser”? I don’t know and with the knowledge that each person’s feelings are generated by their perspective of the situation, I’m inclined to let each decide for themselves.

I, personally, have likewise appreciated (as a buyer) other sellers for having low-cost items in my up-and-down coffers (budget) within the game-coin system, to fuel the avatar doing all the walking around and “working” as I explore and figure out what (it) is and can be used for what.

And while on the topic of the markets… I confess to having posted items for sell on another persons/colonies marketplace-- granted, it was originally a misunderstanding on my part. I thought I might be able to (like the NPC merchant or sign vendor) sell wanted goods to the colony direct, through their Export/Import colony market place. I didn’t realize I was listing it on their marketplace until I did it… and then, for curiosity sake and that previously mentioned “unloading” at “cheap” prices, I added some more items, not knowing if the owner of the market has the ability to clear their marketplace and thus, take or…trash? Those goods, but, it’s a game for me, so I admit, I decided to see how it played out.

ALL THAT SAID, price recommendations would be useful to those wanting to portray “fair market value”, which I like to believe will be most of us playing. I feel that this early in the game, “fair market value” may be hard to meet without those with L$ to invest in coin-wages of workers, etc… as the game is “slow building” even for someone binge-playing, as I have been; thus the making and passing around of coin, is also slow-going-- especially when/if you factor in exchange rates of doing business in a colony with it’s own currency! I have. xD

4 Likes

Welcome to forums Remmy. I hope you do not think I accused you of any wrong doing. I realize selling low helps new players for sure. My point was in the long run this could hurt market as a whole if the undercutting intentionally just to get the coin keeps happening. I guess the message here is that we all need to think of others since this is indeed a community game. I’ve seen similar things happen in other systems and still have belief SLC will be the exception. I hope nobody takes my posts as annoying or as if I sound like I know it all. I just am contributing to conversation to improve SLC and you did the same which is great.

2 Likes

Not at all! I simply accept that there may be some who do think my doings to be “wrong” and that’s okay. xD

And, to my understanding, especially with the Merchant role, “undercutting” is part of the game, in the way that it allows a merchant to buy up those surplus goods and then sell them for more to someone looking for them-- though, I imagine this more of a big deal later along, when there’s more clear import/export going on, and more players exploring a specialty within the game.

2 Likes

I believe strongly the market should not be controlled. There should be room for people to valuate their items to their own belief of worth. Supply is not infinite there is a level of demand. Mostly, what is needed is the recruitment of more players so that demand is larger than supply then everyone on the market is paid for their efforts. In retail there is always going to be a “99 cents store” competitor We should all share on our social medias and profiles about SL Colonies to grow our community so that every level of play from casual to serious is represented we will all benefit.

4 Likes

Some items have a base value in the system of 1 copper so the claims about selling too cheap depends on the items you’re talking about. Also, it’s very difficult to know what will sell when no one is asking for anything that’s available. The requests are all for items that are rarely seen, like garlic and figwort. I’ve spent alot of time with foraging and rarely ever see those ingredients. Prices being too low shouldn’t be an issue for anyone but the people selling the same items and if a merchant is willing and able to buy and resell these cheap items, then that’s good for them as well, except for the risk of running out of storage and wasting money on something no one is buying bcuz everyone finds their own items and doesn’t need to buy any and the merchants don’t know what will sell and what wont. I have 3 storage chests all full and a community chest shared with a friend, all items I haven’t been able to sell and now listings in markets ending again filling my personal inventory.

1 Like

I think market without price controls is where we ought to be heading. That means I don’t know what to charge for things I make, even if I calculate what costs I have put in it. Because it is what the market (all of you) will bear. If I price too high, the item will stay there, because it is priced more than the value people will get from having it. If I price too low, I negate the work that went into the item. So, I think we continue to set the price where we want the price to be and see what the market will bear. If it continues to age on the shelf, we learn. Setting prices arbitrarily extremely low, it will take us longer to arrive at fair prices, and remove the incentive of new people to figure out how to make their way. Essentially, we are all single entrepreneurs in this system.

3 Likes

So @Streets, are you suggesting we hide the base price we placed into the database for the purpose of the market, and let everyone else make their own minds without influence from an artificial ‘base’ price anyway?

2 Likes

Without a base price, it would be more of a challenge to determine a fair price without someone actually trying out all of the professions and seeing how long it takes to make each item, and how many ingredients used, etc.

2 Likes

No, not suggesting that. I think the base price is a starting point from which supply and demand plays: if there is more demand for an item than the available supply, prices charged could rise. And what an individual provider of that item wants to get for the “work” + the perceived demand for that item is that individual’s to determine. The “market” (all of us) will determine whether we’ll bear that person’s price, by buying the item from that provider, or not.

2 Likes

Yes, there are some items listed in base price that are very quick and easy to make but cost a lot more than other items which require more/costly ingredients and time to prepare. I haven’t listed many items yet because I feel like the base price is too high for them compared to the ease of production to make them when compared to other things I have made.

2 Likes

Yeah the base price I have input is based purely on material costs. I started with reed and water etc being your absolute bare materials.

I have not based costing on time make, time to research, time to find and so forth.

Then, player based recipes are automatically calculated from those base prices.

3 Likes

I am sure it would be complex, but is it possible to create an adjusting base rate based on amount currently in system ie calculate amount of milk in all player’s inventory? That may not be able to be done, but was just an idea. That could be a way to make accurate base prices if possible.

2 Likes

In my personal market, items that require a great deal of resting time/food to replenish energy after creating/obtaining will be most expensive. Even if another item takes me a week to produce, I would sell it cheaper than something that requires me to have to rest/eat frequently (like mining ores, for instance).

2 Likes