[Balancing] Smelter Profession

Just a small addition to Lillith’s post concerning the smelter. As it stands the smelter profession, at this point is one of the worst classes for gaining cxp with the possible exception of the merchant. A smelter can ONLY gain CXP for smelting ingots, a steel ingot 1 single ingot takes 10 minutes, and takes 20 iron, it takes a long time to mine, and it is very energy intensive to mine. it takes 25 energy to mine a vein and you get 1 to 10 iron ore with the average being 5 so 100 energy average to get 20 ore, and the silver and gold gives fewer ore and it requires more ore to make the ingot. add to that the 24 hour respawn for iron and even longer respawns like 2 days for the silver and 7 days for gold. this profession could use more cxp per craft or to gain cxp from an additional source.

2 Likes

Its one of those side classes like the woodsman. It’s not really a profession for players concerned about CXP and upping stats and such.

These professions are more your casual player who enjoy helping your village but really have no time to do much more than those tasks.

If your community provides the ore and all they need to do is load and walk away, they are earning CXP without having to be seated. Theres no real energy demand in smelting either.

Mining itself is not restricted to the smelter, although it makes sense for that player to focus on mining for RP purposes.

They can be mining while large loads are smelting in multiple smelters and even come back the next day to unload the crafts before spoiling.

Thats the main purpose of that profession. CXP is only important to a smelter for the couple levels it needs. They don’t need to purchase anything else from the CXP store.

Their prices can be relative to meeting requirements to keep fed.

1 Like

#Vudon #Temujin
so the discussion was to integrate the two weak classes in carpenter and smith. for me the statement “casual player” does not open up because if the smith needs ingot he can not wait until the smelter comes online sometime. the same applies to the carpenter, if he needs wood he can not wait that the woodsman comes online!!! so for me the CXP that both can achieve a minor matter. in view of the coming classes maybe one thinks again to integrate the two weak but useful classes.

Actually, depending on the race chosen at the start, the smelter might need to make fairly substantial purchases, in the form of increasing stats, if they want to be able to hunt or fight. While no, there’s no real energy involved other than in mining, there IS time, because all of the smelter’s products spoil in 5 minutes. While they don’t have to be seated and are not restricted from moving around and doing other things, it’s not like they can just walk off and forget it, either.

It just feels like they don’t have the same opportunity to earn CXP that other classes do; whether they have the need is nearly irrelevant.

1 Like

Thinking on RL, bakers do not have to be present in the bakery when a customer wants bread, but their bread does. Smelters need to produce ingots in anticipation of customer wants, putting them on markets at prices that are competitive (eventually) and profitable. Customers can place orders (Requests) or contact the Smelter directly well enough in advance that the desired number of product can be produced. That there are time and work requirements involved are issues for Smelters to comment on, as well as their desire to have CXP. Moving tasks/product production for ingots under Smiths does not change that ingots are only going to get made when Smiths get to it. I’m not concerned that things take time and planning ahead has to be involved in SLC. I think that’s part of the point of realizing an economy.

1 Like

The problem with “when the Smiths get to it” is that if the smith is backlogged, and the farmer needs a plow, the brewer and herbalist need hoes, and the butcher needs a knife…everything grinds to a halt. Is this going to happen often? No. But it does happen, because things tend to be made in batches. It also leads to burnout.

1 Like

As SLC ramps up to full functionality with enough people in professions, working well-oiled, are there still going to be shortages now and then, here and there. Yes, probably. Is everything going to grind to a halt? Gridlock. No, most likely not. Things do get made in batches. I think that is part of efficiency. Will all of this lead necessarily to burnout? I seriously doubt it. More likely it will lead to price competition for things, raising the profits for Smelters and plough makers, etc, until more people get into Smelting or Smithing, or plough making and prices start dropping. An economy.

2 Likes

I’m afraid we’ll have to agree to disagree on this point. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My question on this is why make a “casual play” profession that nearly every other profession is dependent on? no smelter no ingots no ingots no tools no tools no food grown no baskets made no wood cut, you can make a fishing stick cook a fish and make a clay jar or pot. that’s it. The other issue I see in these threads about classes and crafting is everyone talks about buying items or ingredients from others, and making an economy. This is all well and good but does it go against the whole concept of the SLC being a survival RP system? in those scenarios communities worked together to create what they needed, and supported each other, those that could make tools others grew the food and others still prepared the foods, they hunted and they pooled their resources, things were not sold except on rare occasions, barter was the currency, rarely did they have surplus and when they did only that surplus was sold for things they could not get or produce themselves. If you are just producing to stockpile coin them more power to you , you do you, but in doing so you are missing the point of the system I think.

2 Likes

the point of the system is good i support it too, but #vudon if you lack the players to do the things you mention, what do you do? wait and do nothing until you have enough people together to cover every class? do you have so many people on your sim to cover everything? i don’t think so, but if you do, congratulations. as long as every new player wants to build everything themselves, the point of the system is lost, unfortunately. i would also prefer to play only 1 class and have nice teammates to rely on, but that’s not possible right now.

1 Like

Supporting the idea of the system means playing the way it was intended to be played. The system is designed so each player has only one profession, not multiple. The idea is to trade/communicate with the community. I am playing as one profession(merchant), I’m not starving, I have some coin and I’m adding things I can to the markets. (difficult to do not knowing what people need(oh wait, no one needs anything because they all provide everything themselves.)) All there needs to be is one of each profession and people working together sharing what they have and what’s needed. But, too many players are alt grinding providing themselves with everything.

2 Likes

I can understand everyones take on it. I do believe not just the smelter but anyone who mines should be given between 5-10 CXP for just doing any form of gathering. It would help balance every profession more out so that way they are not suffering cause as a Smelter it has been very difficult to get enough CXP to level up, get a stat or even a class change.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.